Event vs Services to initiate a BPEL process in AS11
The decision can be based on the following understanding of the events and service patterns.
- Events are suitable for a decoupled integration.
- Events are one way messaging (no request response pattern and correlation)
- The publisher does not know about the subscribers (there might not be subscribers too)
- The publisher is not blocked for the execution of the subscriptions
- Events support 1:n fan out (multiple subscribers for the same event)
- Service invocation is a tight integrations with the service provider
- Service invocation supports request response patterns (sync or async)
- Synchronous service invocation is blocked till the execution of the service completes.
- Async Request response pattern is often supported via WS-adderessing and correlation